Wednesday, January 30, 2019

#4: The Color Purple Reflection / My Daily Entry

Reflection

Celie confesses to Sofia why she told Harpo to beat her, the two women sharing in a bit of a bonding experience, the scene that started with a monologue known by many and ended with the two women laughing gave way to Sofia coming to an understanding of Celie's situation. There's a bit of irony to the entire situation though, when Harpo first asked how he should get Sofie to listen to him, his father says to beat her but it's not him he listens to for he goes and asks Celie the same question, her response is what he takes to heart, showing how disconnected he is to his own father and why Celie compares him to something she compares herself to, a tree, stiff, unmoving, and scared of man.

Daily Entry

My watercolor set for my art portfolio came in today, which gives me from now until fourth block Friday to finish poor sorcerous Willow Smith. We reached the most iconic scene from the book today in Mr. Rease's class, the monologue that everyone knows even if they haven't seen the movie even once.
"All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my brothers. I had to fight my cousins and my uncles. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men. But I never thought I'd have to fight in my own house. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead before I let him beat me."
The class all said it in unison, immediately leading into a discussion question as to why that quote is so memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment